SAM Baseline I – Analysing the licensing situation
In this training course you will learn how to create and analyze license balances with the main scope on the vendors IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and Adobe.
Creating a software license balance is a rather sophisticated process, with a multitude of complex challenges. Starting with the collection and consolidation of the commercial and technical raw data, followed by compiling the actual licenses and installation inventory into a license balance, it is necessary to overcome all sorts of obstacles. A comprehensive level of knowledge of the essential process steps is the basis of a qualitative and rational software license balance.
Only a high-grade software license balance allows a compliance declaration and Only a high quality software license balance allows a compliance declaration and secures the company against legal and financial risks. Furthermore, it makes a pivotal contribution for an economical and optimized deployment of the software in an organization.
There is an optional certification opportunity: “Software License Compliance Analyst” certified by TÜV Rheinland.”
Within the certification process it is mandatory for candidates to join either a SAM Basic or a SAM Advanced training.
Consolidation of particularly prepared commercial and technical data (i.e. raw data) during a case study
Composition of effective license and installation inventories
Creation and analysis of a software license balance
Achievement of a basic understanding about the common license metrics from the vendors IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and Adobe (Please consider that this course will not cover all of the topics contained within the vendor specific license training.)
- Analysis and consolidation of the original data
- Analysis of the available commercial and technical data (i.e. raw data)
- Overview to the most essential types of Software License Agreements
- Outline of the standard license metrics of the four large software manufacturers IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and Adobe
- Definition of the requirements (i.e. attributes, etc.) for the commercial and technical raw data
- Essential criteria for qulity assurance and assessement of the maturity and integrity of the raw data
- Consolidation of particularly prepared commercial and technical data (i.e. raw data) during a case study.
- Applying the most common upgrade and downgrade rules
- Considering maintenance contracts and their prolongation
- Quality assurance for software product recognition (i.e. finger prints)
- Consolidating the commercial and technical raw data information
- Creating and analyzing a license balance
- Applying the key license metrics of the vendors IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and Adobe
- Licensing of desktop applications / operating systems
- Licensing of server, i.e. CALs and processors
- Licensing of server products in virtual environments
- Interpreting the results and deduction of potential measures and choice of actions